Not content with the original (Barrel) Monkey Shiraz, we’ve taken it a notch higher in fruity intensity with our gorgeous handcrafted a Syrah Viognier.
A terrific, Gold medal take on France’s classic Syrah Viognier recipe. RedHeads uses premium old vine fruit and traditional methods, finishing the wine with 14 months in barrel. Hence the gorgeous silky black fruit and lavish oaky complexity.
In 638 AD, the legend of The Monkey King was born. Every bit as mischievous and furry as his smaller relatives – no amount of wine could quell his divine thirst and no amount of roasted coconuts (Noix de Coco Rôties) could satisfy his heavenly hunger. The Monkey King also possessed immense strength, able to lift barrels with ease and traverse continents with a single somersault.
For the 2019 vintage of this superbly balance red, we hunted down some premium old vine fruit and then co-fermented Syrah with the Viognier skins (just like they do in the northern Rhðne).
Ten months’ oak ageing gave us this medal-winning marvel. A dark and elegant mouthful with smoky blackberry married with dark chocolate raspberry notes and velvety tannins.
- 2015: 3x GOLDS
- 2016: 6x GOLDS, 95 POINTS from Decanter, 92 POINTS from IWC, 91 POINTS from Wine Enthusiast
- 2017: 1x PLATINUM, 97 POINTS from Decanter, 93 POINTS from IWC, 1x GOLD
- 2018: 1x GOLD, 91 POINTS from Mundus Vini
- 2019: 1x GOLD Catavinum, 1x Grand Gold Berliner Wein Trophy
- 2020: 92 POINTS from World’s Greatest Shiraz/Syrah XVI Wine Show (Winestate Magazine)